Our recent Gourmet Retreat Cooking Class showed off the best of truffles as the season comes to an end.
Executive Chef Michael Elfwing shared his tips and tricks for cooking with truffles at home, and by the end of the class guests were confident they would easily be able to recreate his recipes at home.
The class was followed by a walk through the veggie patch and a Long Table Lunch with wines where every dish in the demonstration was served up for guests to enjoy.
A big thank you to The Truffle & Wine Co for generously providing all the truffles for the class.
Click here to book your next Gourmet Retreat Cooking Class.
Here’s a RECIPE for you to try at home.
Recipe: Esperance Scallops, Fresh Truffles, Peas, Raw Mushrooms
Serves: 4 PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
8, ½ shell esperance scallops
½ tsp Truffle & Wine Co. truffle salt
40g fresh truffles, preferably 1 piece
1tbsp truffle butter
- Clean the scallops and marinate with truffle salt for up to 24 hours.
- Peel the truffle, keeping peelings for pea puree. Try to get the truffle the same diameter as the scallops
- Slice the truffle into thin rounds and keep aside
- Boil the peas in water seasoned with a little truffle salt. Strain peas and blend to a puree with the truffle peelings and truffle salt, season with more truffle salt if needed.
- Shave the mushrooms very thin using a mandolin and drizzle with a little truffle oil.
- Sear the scallops and serve in their shells with the truffled pea puree, fresh truffle slices and mushroom shavings.