At our recent Gourmet Retreat Cooking Class, Executive Chef Michael Elfwing showcased some of his favourite recipes for ‘Cooking with Beef’. Our guests enjoyed all the dishes over a Long Table Lunch with wines, and the ‘Sticky Beef Brisket in Steamed Buns’ was clearly a favourite.
Here is the recipe for you to try at home.
Recipe: Sticky Brisket in Steamed Buns
Serves: 8-12 PREPARATION TIME: 30 + 180minutes
1kg beef brisket
3 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, grated
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 fresh red chillies, chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp fish sauce
6 tbsp soy sauce
1 packet steamed buns
1. Trim the meat of any surface fat and sinew.
2. Season then sear meat and place in a baking dish.
3. Heat the oil in a pot. Add chopped shallot, grated ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
4. Stir in chilli, spring onions and the remaining ingredients and water.
5. Bring to boil and pour over the meat. Place in a pre-heated oven at 160c for 2.5-3 hours.
6. Once the meat is cooked, remove and set aside. Reduce liquid until thick.
7. Once meat has cooled down, slice and coat with a little sauce and place in steamed buns. Garnish with strips of cucumber, spring onion and coriander. Serve immediately.