At the recent Gourmet Retreat Cooking Class and Long Table Lunch, Executive Chef Michael Elfwing shared four of his delicious ‘French Inspired’ recipes.
Here is one for you to try at home, easy to create and impressive to look at.
Recipe: Stuffed Onions
Serves: 6 PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
6 white onions
50g buckwheat, barley or millet
1 clove of garlic
1 small fennel bulb
2 anchovy fillets
200g chicken stock
50g cooked French lentils – lentil de puy
fresh basil, parsley and chives
extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel the onions and cut the top 1cm off and keep
2. Scoop out the centre layers of the onion and finely
3. Cut the fennel bulb into small cubes and crush the garlic
4. Place the onion, fennel, garlic and anchovies in a pot, sauté until fragrant then add the grains and chicken
5. Cook until tender and stock has evaporated.
6. Taste and season as needed, add herbs and cooked lentils
7. Blanch the hollowed out onions for a couple of minutes until tender but still holding their shape
8. Stuff the onions with the grain mixture and place in a 180c oven for 15 minutes to heat up then serve.