Making a Soufflé may seem like a daunting task, but at our recent Gourmet Retreat Cooking Class, ‘The Art of Soufflé’, Executive Chef Elfwing proved that anyone can rise to the occasion.
Recipe: Twice Baked Blue Swimmer Crab Soufflé
Serves: 6 PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
150g blue swimmer crab meat
1 tbsp chopped dill, chives, parsley
zest of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
- Cook the butter and flour to a blond roux, then add the milk and boil for 5 minutes, whisking all the time. The mix will be very thick.
- Let the mix cool a little until it’s warm. Add the egg yolks one by one, followed by the crab meat, herbs and lemon zest.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and keep aside while you whisk the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the soufflé base.
- Butter dariole moulds and pour the mix ¾ full into these.
- Bake in a water bath at 160° c for 17-19 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly in the mould, then unmould onto baking paper.
- Store these soufflés in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When you are ready to serve, place the soufflés in a baking dish and pour enough cream to come 1cm up the side of the soufflé.
- To add a touch of decadence, top with salmon roe and blanched asparagus.